Just another New Zealand actor heading for Hollywood.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Giving a Rats Arse

Ah monday. The start of a new week. Jump out of bed, breakfast, coffee, brush teeth, sit down to check emails ... nothing. Now what. Waiting, waiting, waiting. My manager had a few clients involved in that whole Oscar thing, so they'll be a few hangovers at the office this morning I'm sure.


My meeting with the Horror film director went well last week. I'm pretty much basing that on his first comment when I walked in the room."Hey, look at you. I could put you in my film right now, you look perfect!" Hmmm. Hopefully that means an audition at least. Americans are very good at smiling, being polite and appearing extremely passionate when they frankly couldn't give a rats arse. I guess in New Zealand we're more inclined towards grumpy, quiet and apathetic when we're not interested. I certainly can't recall a supermarket staff member asking me if I'm finding everything okay and whether I need any help at Foodtown Grey Lynn. So, hard for me to judge how it really went. However, it did serve the purpose of making me feel good enough to pitch my ideas for the character and it was a welcome relief to the pre-reads I've been on. The script is a good genre film with a twist. The character is a nasty piece of work that you end up rooting for, and the lead actors are fantastic. It would be a great gig. sigh.

I kept quiet over the weekend saving my fun points for an Oscar party. Foolishly tried to drive there through the actual Oscars. Roadblocks, limos, spotlights. Woops. Got there a little late but still managed to come in close to winning the sweepstake. (I blew it with Adapted Screenplay. However I would highly recommend In The Loop. Very clever and funny script.)

At the Football I met a Kiwi songstress Florence Hartigan. She's playing tonight just down the road, so that'll be me for monday thanks.

A good man gave me the entire series of BattleStar Galactica before I left NZ. Now, I watched the original when I was a kid, was never a big fan and this new version is synonymous with serious geekdom. I've been dubious about this show to say the least. However, critics have consistently put it above and beyond my favorites The Wire and Deadwood. While the jury is still out on that one, I have to say, I'm loving it. Halfway through series two and I'm a bona-fide fan. And a serious geek.

Go the Phoenix. And the Black Caps. Dammit.

G

1 comment:

  1. Say howdy to Flo for me. We went to Uni together. Enjoying the blog, G.

    ReplyDelete