Just another New Zealand actor heading for Hollywood.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Home.

And I'm home. Two months was both a lifetime and no time at all. Long enough to have me confused about what side of the road I should be on, but not long enough to feel like I've really been away.

My final audition in the U.S was for a stonking great blockbuster. However, and I should've guessed really, it was just like any other audition. The Casting Director knew I was leaving town so slotted me in amongst all the child actors she was seeing that day nd their very determined mothers. Frightening. I nearly went for Chicken Mole Enchiladas at my favourite joint, Loteria in the farmers markets one last time but at the last minute decided beans before a 14hr flight might not be a great idea.

The last thing I did in Los Angeles was to meet up with my Australian agent who was in town, and as it turns out flying back to Sydney on the same flight as me. I sauntered into the Peninsula Hotel in Beverly Hills smiling at the bell hops in their little white suits, paused briefly to listen to the Harp Player in the foyer then took the golden elevator to the 10th floor and rooftop bar. Please God don't let him be poolside, I really don't want to have to weave my way through the breasts and margaritas to find him, no, there he is. Surrounded by a small clutch of his Aussie clients Mark Morrissey was doing it in style. One of his big names had a premiere last night and he was relaxed and jovial. It was good to hear from a bunch of Aussies a little further down the track than me. They all had the same thought, it just takes time. And money. In L.A those two things are often considered one and the same. Mark has been coming to L.A on and off for 15 years and in the process seen many actors succeed and fall by the wayside.  I had a chance to really pick his brains at the airport. He's a good man. Mark, Imogen in New Zealand and Lena in the U.S are all great people and I feel lucky to have them on my side.

That flight really is a killer. The few hours in Sydney airport aren't much fun and sleep for me is impossible. On the plus side I've finally caught up on all the Oscar winning films. If you do have to do this flight I recommend having an awesome girlfriend. Mine picked me up and took me to the Langham Hotel for a Chuan Spa tri-bathe/massage combo and a room for the night in absolute luxury. A bottle of champagne and a dozen oysters later I slept like a baby. The top story on the morning news was whether beer sold at rugby world cup matches should be sold in cans or cups. Ah yes, I'm home.

With two and a half months until rehearsals start for Romeo and Juliet (I'm playing Friar Lawrence) and no money I'll be off to the dole office this week. It's been a while and if memory serves the workstart 'how to get a job' seminar that bears absolutely no relation to my life or circumstances awaits me. 

Last night I went along to The Classic to watch Six-Dollar-Fifty Man. This is a short film made by my friend Louis Sutherland and his partner in crime Mark Albiston. I worked with Louis On The Insiders Guide to Love. He played Serena's lover. It's their second short film and has been enormously successful in New Zealand and around the world, picking up the equivalent of second place at Cannes. It's a great short. Louis and Mark spoke afterwards about their process and the genesis of the idea. It was inspiring to think that a moment, a shared memory from the childhood of these two men could travel the world as a short film and touch everyone who sees it. They are working on a feature together and I have no doubt they will produce something we will all be proud of one day. 

So that's it really. This blog is called Adventures in Los Angeles. Now I am home. I have no doubt learnt a lot, and over the next week I might even figure out what exactly. It's been an experience to remember. It hasn't killed me, so if the saying is right, it's made me stronger. Thanks for coming with me. I hope you got something useful from it, and next time I see you I won't have to tell you all about it!

G

1 comment: