Just another New Zealand actor heading for Hollywood.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Dog and Pony Show.

Day 1. And I wake up wondering where the hell I am.
I am in West Hollywood. And if you've got the lingo down like me, you just abbreviate it to the nearest known intersection, like "oh yeah, west hollywood dude, like, Sunset and Crecent Heights?" It seems the upward inflection is on the rise, and not because of us antipodeans either.

T.Ryan is a school mate of Serena's who's got an absent Argentinian flatmate. For a week. I have the room, a share of leftover catering from The Big Bang Theory lunches, email access and a wicked host. I'm looking for a sub-let nearby cos this area is choice.

10.30am saw me sweating and just about on time at my managers office on Wilshire Blvd.
I did what's known as The Dog and Pony show. All the managers, who are a crack team pile into one office to look me up and down and go round seeing what I'd be right for. It was very Entourage, if Vincent Chase was a dick who just grinned. They're a great bunch who will be working hard for me. I had to go back a few hours later to meet one of them that couldn't be there in the morning. In a one on one and after a good think I was much more on my game. She gave me the best low down.
"It's all tv at the moment. No-one makes any money from films. Our goal is to get every client in a series right now. Round 1 they're looking for names, round two it loosens up a bit, and round three they might take suggestions. We'll try get you in round 2, but mostly it's round 3 for you. No guest roles because you'll never get the paperwork done in time. Doctors, lawyers, cops. That's what everyone's looking for at the moment. Can you do multi-cam comedy?"
Imagine that as onenonstopveryquicklyspokensentence.
Realistically I'm just getting in front of people that matter and hopefully knocking their socks off so they keep me in mind. But to hear my manager say to her staff "I like him. He's fantastic. I want him in a series so he never leaves," is encouraging.

Tomorrow morning I have a pre-read for a Casting Director at Universal Studios. I will be taking a bus and a train. I need a car. This place doesn't like pedestrians. I did nearly 5 hours walking today. Arse.

There is something kinda cool about a city full of film and tv people. Coming from a place where acting is still considered a bit of a hobby and Shorty St is the benchmark of success. There are printing shops advertising specials on Headshot/Resume packages. The directors guild, cinematographers guild buildings are down the road on Sunset and look like the ANZ building. At the airport there was a sign covering up the renovations being done saying "we know you're all actors, so just act like this isn't happening. sorry for the inconvenience." Mind you, they say the collective noun for actors is a Bitch of Actors. The novelty could wear off pretty fast.

I gotta learn lines and figure what in my wardrobe says Cop, Lawyer and Doctor.

G

No comments:

Post a Comment