Just another New Zealand actor heading for Hollywood.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hollywood 5.0

It's gone 1 am and I'm back from Universal City. For the second time today.
Hell I wasn't gonna pass up dinner, and a ride in a car to see Avatar in 3d Imax at Universal.

This morning I took public transport. Contrary to the arched eyebrows of car loving locals it's not too bad. They laugh when I tell them i've been walking everywhere. Then they realise I'm serious. Yep, only me and the crazies walk in L.A. I've met a few.

I gave myself plenty of time to find my way. I'm SO glad I did. After the security guard at gate 2 of Universal realised I was, seriously, walking, he handed me a map and wished m luck shaking his head. Universal City is just that. A City where they make film and tv. I walked past the cast and crew of C.S.I having lunch, the 2nd A.D of Little Fockers flying around in a golf cart in a mad panic and Brian Grazer nearly run me over. I know it was Brian cos he was pulling into his carpark which had a big sign saying BRIAN GRAZER. I was standing in it reading a map avoiding golf carts. Someone also called him Brian. I thought about cracking some Bowfinger gag, but thought better of it.
The studios out at Henderson? They have hundreds of those here. I was walking through a city of aircraft hangers. Funny though, amongst the easy-ups, tatooed smoking grips, catering trucks, A.D's walking around I felt kinda at home. I know this world. It's just been supersized.
I finally found Desperate Housewives HQ and sat down for my first pre-read with an american casting director.
The pre-read is the way he gets to meet me, see what my qualities are, before he goes putting his own ass on the line and calling me in to audition for anything. He's a busy man. We read a scene from his companies new pilot, (which is an awesome script, and with far more famous people than me acting in it will be a great series) over his desk. I got up and moved around a bit, it was odd. He gave me bit of direction, I did it fine. He said thanks, I left.
I walked out of Universal City and a crazy lady screamed at me and chased me down the street 10 metres. My nerves were shot. I took the train and then headed down Hollywood Boulevard to get my bus. I was in a world of my own thinking about my audition when I saw a star with Groucho Marx written inside before I realised where I was. I looked up. There was Superman. And his mate Batman. And strippers, and Samuel L Jackson, no, wait, he's made from wax. Do I want a photo with it? No, she's right thanks mate.

Home in the avo and off walking the streets of West Hollywood again. When will I learn?
Looked at a couple of rooms to sublet. Both good options. Trying not to think too hard about how they both average 350$NZD a week more than what I pay in Auckland.

Lines to learn over the weekend. Audition on monday for remake of 70's cop show.
Book me Danno.

G

p.s - Latest cricket text update from Bracken. Opened the batting. Scored 41 and batted through to the 25th over. Bowling coming along nicely too. NCEA this year. Go get em sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment