Just another New Zealand actor heading for Hollywood.

Monday, January 25, 2010

I'm Not Harry Jenson in 5.1 surround sound. Or not.

It's nearing midnight. 2 days till I leave NZ.
Tonight was the Rialto Film Club Preview of I'm Not Harry Jenson, followed by a Q&A with Director James Napier, Producer Tom Herne and actors Cameron Rhodes and myself. I couldn't bear seeing myself on the big screen again so turned up an hour before the end of the film and sat in the bar. It was then that I saw the director tear out of the cinema and into the projection booth followed by one of our investors. Hmmmm...
To cut a long story short ... We are one of the first films in NZ to be distributed digitally. Meaning rather than Rialto sending 'prints' of our film to it's 23 cinemas, hard drives are sent instead. This includes a new 5.1 Surround sound mix. Somewhere in the transfer something went a bit, um, woopsy, and our brave sound designer took it upon himself to remix some things. James, not happy. When I caught up with him he looked like he'd just had a stillborn baby delivered. Panic stations as James and Tom went about finding the original stereo mix to play for the following session and for the national release on thursday. 2 speakers being better than the 'new version' in 5.1 they reckon.
My bloody legend teammates from the North Shore Raw 5th division ( now 4th Division!) football team were none the wiser, as I kept pointing out, and we went in for the Q&A.
Toa Fraser, genius playwright and accomplished filmmaker (No.2, Dean Spanley) ran the session. He was funny, articulate and downright good at it. It was fun remembering how it all came together two years ago, and how this whole L.A adventure is down to this film. I'm proud. And have a newfound sense of my coming adventure being part of the whole Harry Jenson experience.
James, who put in the good word with his L.A manager, (now also my manager) was invaluable over a few beers after with advice. He gave me a blow by blow account of a typical day during pilot season, and what traps to look out for. Sounds like i have my work cut out for me.

I am assembling every Kiwi I can find in L.A to go see the All Whites play Mexico in March. Though as my smarty-pants cousin Aaron points out there might be a few Mexican fans there too.

So, I leave the morning I'm Not Harry Jenson goes to cinema in New Zealand. A remarkable achievement for a film that cost the same as a Film Commission funded short. I'm very proud of the boys, and everyone involved. Go see it of you get a chance, it'll hook you in. A Song of Good, which won Best Film (Under 1-Million) at the screen awards never got this. You may find it at the DVD store next to lots of other fine NZ Films that weren't considered good business to release to cinema.

That's enough from me tonight. I have to pack and pick up my dry-cleaning tomorrow.
L.A. Here I come.

www.imnotharryjenson.com

G

No comments:

Post a Comment