Just another New Zealand actor heading for Hollywood.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Yielding and the Crap Detector.

Another day, another couple of auditions. This is pilot season.
At some point a couple of years ago, I realised I was giving far better audition by not caring so much or trying so hard. I'm relearning that lesson again. Thankfully a bit quicker this time.

Looking at where I had to get to for this mornings audition last night, I caved and booked a hire car with GPS for a week. Bliss. A little voice pops up while I'm trying to remind myself what side of the road to stay on telling me I should think about turning in a minute. Bless its little computer socks. To arrive refreshed, on time and awake to an audition helps. I'm gonna stop calling them auditions. I don't know what they are. It's like a scan. Like being walked through a "crap" detector, except you can't hear the alarm going off, only they can. I could do hundreds of these and never hear anything. In fact, that's likely to be the scenario. I know this, but dammit if I just can't shake a habitual optimism that says somethings going to happen.

Dinner with Kiwis last night. Numbers are assembling for the All Whites vs Mexico game at the Rose Bowl next month. Excellent.
Good to feel part of a wide eyed clutch of Kiwis in the same boat. Stink to fill in audition sign in form and next to 'name' is 'are you currently legally entitled to work in the U.S.' A big NO in that column must really put you to the top of the list

I have nothing on tomorrow, so planning to take my car somewhere where I can go for a run without having to stop for lights every 5 minutes. Like Venice Beach or Griffith Park. A good friend suggested I find something other than acting to occupy myself "so I don't go all nutty." Hmmm gonna have to work on that one. Without my vege plot to tend ...

Hope everyone is well. It's always sunny here. I've kind of only just noticed. But no one has clothes lines. The washer takes 5 Quarters. So does the dryer. Everything takes quarters. Damn quarters. I boil the pot on the stove for my 'bagged tea' cos no one has a jug in California. Cos no one has tea. A double shot small latte from starbucks is the closest i can get to a flat white so far. And $40 filled the whole tank up in my car! Oil crisis? Sheesh, Try living in Auckland. The water level in the loo is really high and I keep bumping into people on the street because the drive on the right rule seems to apply off-road too. Figured that one out finally today. Yield means Give Way, and at a 4 way intersection, you yield in order of who got there first! ha.

Hey you actors, you'll love this. This is a blog from a tv writer telling us how impossible it is to get work in this town...

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2010/02/guys-are-not-going-to-want-to-fk-her.html

G

No comments:

Post a Comment